3.1.10

UPDATE 3.1.10 - Reinforcing...


* TWC 09 video coming soon...
* New thruster project approved US/FCS box (see picture)

* New backgrounds up today
* The fin testing continues on the surfboard (see pic)
* TIPS: "things we have learnt" (below)

* Repairs on my quad still going (after I snapped it in half!)

* Reinforcement of the fin plugs on my
JP thruster... using my hawaii style proto board in the meantime with the sick custom Thruster Project graphics (see pic)

We had a rare side-shore wind the other day at Plimmy, waves were average but heaps of steep ramps (and perfect jumping direction)... after a few sweet pushies decided that I must start to learn the backloop aswell! I blew a fin plug after a few attempts cos I wasn't sheeting in enough or the ramp wasn't steep enough (to kill all the power) so I was powering up on the last bit of the rotation, and the fin took all the impact.
I didn't use any fiberglass cloth with the plug install (thinking it would be plenty strong).

On the note of the thruster, it's friken awesome!!! Don't know why many more manufactures don't do it?! It just works so sweet!!! Look at surfing!
3x 11-12cm fins is plenty for a windsurfer!

As the FCS fins go, I have been trying the super nice looking AM-2 with the lightweight Performance core construction and inside foil technology. Super nice fins but they just can't take the abuse I give them, and cracks have shown around the base. I am going to save up and get the strongest (I can think of) fins by FCS in the full layered fiberglass construction.

After plenty of RnD, here are some fin TIPS to get ya started with your own project: (we have it pretty much figured out now)
- 3 EQUAL sized (thruster) asymmetrical fins (or 4) work better than a single or twin!!! (with a wave bias)
- Go quad if you need more grip, control, speed, big wave (and I'm not saying a thruster can't do all that either... just a different feel).
- FCS fins are best: easy to install and a huge selection (and easy to get hold of). Best are Glass flex (cheaper to replace) or save up and get the strongest full layered fiberglass sick looking ones (PG-7 or 5)
- use fiberglass cloth with plug install (for a super strong box) or use new FCS figure-8 plug if available
- make your own US box if you want a super strong centre fin (the long-board adapter just looks like it wont 'cut it' if you are likely to encounter rocks or shallow sand).
- Just go ahead and get started!!!

And... if you think that is too much work... we can make one for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment